New Reviews and Interviews with Art Practice Undergrads

The Worth Ryder Art Gallery Publicity Interns regularly review exhibitions, interview undergrads, and write about artwork for our News page.

RevillaKatie2 RevillaKatie1   

Gordon Hall – “Speculative Lecture”

Reviewed by Katie Revilla

Gordon Hall, a performance artist, writer, and founder of the Center for Experimental Lectures recently came to give a propositional and improvisational lecture at UC Berkeley. For me the lecture redefined and expanded what can be considered an artist’s talk. Two figures were positioned within the space, completely still and motionless. Hall, who was in the corner of the room perched upon a pedestal, began gestures and movement, slowly moving themselves in different variations. As they announced act 1, scene 1, phase 1, they got up from the pedestal and began to move and interact with two large wooden parentheses. As both Gordon and the other performer moved throughout the space with the large wooden parentheses, the conversation began.

Hall read aloud twice in the performance, as well as from their phone, with imagery that to me felt like recalling a memory. The words were colors, objects, items, and feelings all of which in sighted something in me that created certain feelings of nostalgia. Although I don’t completely understand the relationship between the performance and the recalling of these writings, after Hall repeated it, I tried to imagine and feel what they were describing for the rest of the piece. Parts of the performance were also with the lights off, which I found to be a really sensory experience. One could see shadows occasionally, you could hear them moving, and as a performer moved close to where you were sitting, you felt their bodily presence.

Overall, this piece has so many different layers and complexities within itself. I loved how this piece confronted language and challenged how we perceive it. It made me think a lot more about the body and how we can transmit such an array of information. Also, coming from a background and understanding that artist’s lectures are where the artist talks at the audience and then might do a question and answer period at the end of the talk, this piece was able to challenge and shift the ways that artists can provide information through creating a new conversation. Artists don’t necessarily have to do a report on their work but instead convey the meaning of their work through a performance such as this. I found Gordon inspiring, and I’m excited to follow their work as it progresses in the future.

* * *

Video Interview with Shari Paladino from MFA First Year Exhibition

by Shannon Kim

* * *

Artist Erin Kim

Interviewed by Sae Bom Choi

ChoiSaebom2

Tell me about yourself.

My name is Erin Kim and I am a junior majoring in Landscape Architecture. I have been interested in art and design since I was in elementary school. Ever since I became passionate about art, I enjoyed going to art galleries and museums to get inspirations, and explore new ideas to motivate myself.

What work do you most enjoying doing?

I enjoy working with a variety of medium including acrylic, oil paint, ink, colored pencils, graphite, and more. I like to combine different types of medium to create more interesting effects.

ChoiSaebom

What themes do you pursue?

I don’t really have a theme that I want to pursue through my works but I try to create works that are meaningful to me. The process that I go through before starting an art piece is that I go over all the photo albums and try to choose a moment or subject that I want to make special by adding aesthetic view to the specific subject.

What inspired you to major in landscape and minor in art?

I was undeclared in College of Letters and Science until the second semester of my sophomore year. The major factor that motivated me to transfer to College of Environmental Design was taking an Environmental Design (ED) class second semester of freshman year. Although I knew that I was interested in art and design, I was uncertain about what I wanted to major in. I had a lot of fun in ED class; the class was about problem solving projects using art and design knowledge. Then I looked more into the Landscape Architecture department and took some Landscape classes then declared as Landscape architecture major. I also wanted to pursue my artistic view by minoring in art.

ChoiSaebom3

How much drawing do you have to go through to prepare for a piece?

I spend a lot of time coming up with an idea for an art piece. I do some quick sketches of all the ideas I have and narrow down to what I want specifically.

What is your dream project? What’s your goal?

My goal is to continue creating art works that are meaningful to me. I always feel that photography is a temporary snapshot of memories. But creating an artwork of the special moment can last longer and remain more valuable to me. My dream project is to create a series of special moments of four years in college.

* * *

ono - yes

Critic’s Perspective: Rediscovering Yoko Ono

by Michele Meltzer

Professor Scott Saul from our neighboring English Department at UC Berkeley has a new podcast show, Chapter & Verse, which features discursive conversations between himself and other academics/critics of media culture. In this episode, Professor Saul brings on Professor Julia Bryan-Wilson of the UC Berkeley History of Art Department to discuss the art of Yoko Ono.

Critical attention to Ono’s work and its centrality within a number of artistic movements, especially her creative output through the 1960s, was for many years lost to an amnesiac cultural narrative which has long held Ono merely as the collaborator, muse, and widow of pop legend John Lennon. Her work—ranging widely from performance art, to instructional pieces, to video and beyond—and its importance to the history of contemporary art have recently regained recognition through exhibitions such as MoMa’s “Yoko Ono: One Woman Show, 1960-1971”. Here, Professor Saul along with Professor Bryan-Wilson honor this story which regards Ono as an artist first and foremost, helping audiences recall why Ono’s work stands on its own. The talk involves a rich examination of Ono’s personal story, its influence on her ever-evolving creative process, and the formal risks present in Ono’s art which warrant its acclaim.

* * *

First Friday and Community

by Hannah Laher

We all choose to be an art major, and an art major specifically in Berkeley.  As a soon to be graduate of this program, and a local of the Bay Area since I was a child- the thoughts of what can this community do for me has come to mind more often than once.  With the tech-industry boom, San Francisco and Oakland have been in the spotlight a lot these days, but do people on a creative career have a place within this spotlight?

Through my research I have found that artist are this community here in the Bay Area, which is why I want to remind everyone about Oaklands First Fridays, starting up again on March 4th.  With their vision statement of “striv[ing] to be the premier Oakland First Fridays Event as the epicenter for the community to come together to celebrate, sustain & support the arts,”  this event has brought everyone together within the Oakland and the arts community.  This tradition started in 2006, with the Art Murmur events, which has now transformed in the this esteemed event for all to enjoy.

According to a report written by Victoria Swift, “Economics Impact of the Oakland First Fridays”, this event is supporting more than just the arts communities.  The influx of people coming in has had an amazing impact on the local businesses, some owners stating a 100 to 250 percent increase in profits on event nights.

We are in a great place for our art.  We just need to help support the community we are going to a part of because the horizon of graduation comes quicker than you expect.

With your free AC bus transit card, take the 1 route and walk a few blocks for the First Friday event starting this month.